Stress Free Flying With Kids: 5 Secrets You’ll Want to Steal
If you know anything about my life, you know we travel—A LOT—and that means, so do our two boys. An average year will have us on 5+ trips between NYC, Hawaii and San Diego, so they’ve become quite the frequent fliers. It makes sense, though, right? I met my husband on a flight, so that love of travel has been a part of our story from day one.
But just because THEY DO fly, doesn’t mean they have to DO WELL on flights… except that they are complete rockstars (and no, this is not a gushy humble brag, mom moment!)
Even in the early days when they were just little boys, these two flew like pros. Patient, calm and never causing a problem. Are they saints? NO, they’re normal kids, after all. But they truly do not cause problems when flying—EVER.
How? The success is in the planning—or more specifically, what’s in their bags—and without it, who knows what these long flights might look like!
If you want #StressFree traveling with your kiddos, give these five tried and true flight hacks a try:
1. SNACKS: Can we have a little sidebar about the insane cost of airport snacks (let alone food and a decent glass of wine, am I RIGHT?) OK, so now that we’ve established that you basically have to mortgage your home to afford to feed a family of four at the airport, here’s my rule: WE DON’T BUY IT!
Oh, I hear you already, “NO SNACKS?! My kids would never make it. There would be mayhem!”
And you’re right… there would be. That’s why I pre-pack one gallon size ziplock bag PER CHILD with: Pirate’s Booty, protein bars, Ritz Crackers, GoGo Squeez pouches and more. I avoid the snacks on the plane at all costs, especially those biscuit cookies they hand out now in lieu of peanuts. TONS of sugar that will have my kids bouncing off the walls. By pre-packing, trust me, they have plenty to last them! You can also bring empty water bottles through security and most airports have a complimentary filtered water system near the gates. So no need to buy that $6 8 oz bottle at the gift shop!
2. HEADPHONES: We found the best headphones on Amazon for only $14.95 called Little Gadgets. These bad boys are durable, long-lasting and get the job done. Even if they don’t have something else to plug into (we’ll get to that in a second), most planes now have chairs with arm rests that have audio outlets to watch whatever show or movie is playing for the whole cabin. Now you don’t have to buy flimsy headphones for $5 a pop each time you fly.
3. COLORING SET: We LOVE our Crayola Tip Art Kit for only $13.49 at Michaels. It has crayons, pencils, markers–and best of all, everything has its place, so crayons aren’t rolling off their trays to the floor all flight long.
4. PAPER: Can’t have crayons and pencils without something to write on, right? We load up their book bags with plain paper, coloring books, reading books, and stickers. Now they have PLENTY to do… and I can beat them at a few games of Tic Tac Toe along the way, too.
5. iPAD: Finally, I understand that not every kid has an iPad and that’ perfectly fine. Whatever handheld device (even if it’s your own phone just to keep them quiet) can work but since they do have an iPad, it’s a MUST on the flights. We download tons of games before the flight that they can play without WiFi if necessary, but with the GO GO In-Flight app that many airlines use now offers them FREE and unlimited access to movies and games just by connecting to the Wifi while flying high in the sky.
It’s honestly probably the biggest lifesaver while flying with kids, so yep, they break the
“screen time rules” when it comes time to fly. And remember those headphones? Make sure you have them! We’ve definitely been called out before for not having them on hand—and let’s be honest, no one wants to listen to a video game or silly cartoon for hours on end, so we get it.
BUT here’s my biggest tip: DON’T FORGET THE CHARGERS! Practically every airport now has USB chargers on both the planes and in the seats of the gate waiting areas. Keep those phones, laptops, iPads and more juiced up and ready—you never know when they’ll come in handy most!
So there it is! I hope you feel like you’re ready to take on flying with your kids, too! The world is an amazingly beautiful place and I love exploring every nook and cranny with my family. Don’t let a little doubt stand in your way of traveling to exciting, new places with your family, too.
I’m telling you mama, you’ve got this—especially when you plan ahead!
As a stay at home mom to 4 living in Southern California with one income, I needed to help supplement income. Although I had very little expectations of the business due to my prior experience with direct sales, I opted to jump in. I didn’t initially know Kristen, but quickly respected her work ethic and passion. Kristen graciously mentored and coached me, along with my growing team. Kristen has a unique mind capable of strategy and the ability to read numbers and statistics in a way that rapidly produces growth. Her previous career gives her an advantage at seeing and producing growth that leads to big results. I have loved receiving the benefits of getting a glimpse into her mind and learning a whole way of leveraging systems of this business to maximize its full potential. In under three years, I created a six-figure income that has allowed me to give back more than I had ever imagined and to build a dream home for my family.
Kristen leads by example and truly is passionate about her business. She has shown me it it possible to build from anywhere, while also living a life you love. I am forever thankful for the time she has been so gracious to give and continues to lavish on her team.
– Ashlynn Herren | Jurupa Valley, California
I started my business with Rodan + Fields because of my friendship and past experience working with Kristen. When deciding if I was going to start my own business with R+F, it was important to me to have a mentor that could help me create a successful business. Kristen has a long, proven track record of success in every step of her career and Rodan + Fields has been no different. I came to R+F with no experience in direct sales and Kristen mentored me from day one on how to grow my business, alongside my full-time career in software. Led by her example, I have been able to leave my corporate career behind and be home with my three children, all while still having my own business. I could not have done any of it without her.
– Gayle Kalvert | Dix Hills, NY
In the beginning of 2015 I was in desperate need of a change. I was a full-time working mom in the financial industry, working long hours, add a long commute with two small children spending way too much time in day care. I felt I was failing in all areas of life… as a mom, as a wife and as an employee. I was lost and I needed to make a change but didn’t want to sacrifice time or money.
When Kristen and I first chatted, I had no idea how I would fit an at-home business into my already super busy schedule with work, family and play… but I knew I had to try because there really weren’t any other options. Kristen was able to be successful with a busy life and I knew she would be the perfect person to coach me how to do it all. Boy was I right! Kristen is an exceptional leader that always found the time to show me the way and help me grow and succeed! After 18 months of working with Kristen, I left my full-time job because I was able to match my corporate salary. A year later, I was able to double it and our life looks very different now, thanks to this opportunity and Kristen’s guidance. Our family is forever grateful!
– Kelly Koury | San Diego, CA
Kristen is one of the most strategic, forward thinking and driven entrepreneurs that I’ve ever known. Since the day she made the decision to start her own business, I knew that she would be a force. Not only has she proven that to be true, she proves it on a daily basis.
When you work with Kristen, she motivates you to step up your game, pushes you to your full potential and inspires you to be more creative, because that is how she operates.
I am so thankful to have locked arms with her as a business partner and have loved watching every second of her journey into becoming the strong leader she is today.
– Melissa McCarthy | Wyckoff, New Jersey